20 Feb What Is Retargeting?

Typically, only 2% of shoppers convert to buyers on the first visit to an online store. Retargeting brings back the other 98% by keeping track of people who visit your site and displaying your ads to them as they visit other sites online.

How does it work?

  1. A visitor comes to your site to find out information
  2. They check out some products but leave before making a purchase
  3. Retargeting displays your ads on sites they visit later, keeping you top of mind and bringing them back to your website.

A retargeting provider puts tag in the footer of your website. This code creates a list of people that visit your site by placing anonymous retargeting “cookies” in their browser. With this list, your provider can now display retargeting ads to your potential customers as they visit other sites. Depending on the size of the provider, your messages be delivered consistently to your customers just about anywhere they might go online.

Why is it effective?

Retargeting generates greater online sales by keeping your brand front and center and bringing “window shoppers” back when they’re ready to buy. Every time your customer sees your ad on another site they are surfing, your brand gains more recognition. This repeated exposure results in high click-through rates and increased conversions.

Best practices

Like all online marketing efforts, retargeting is most effective if you segment your visitors and tailor the retargeting ads shown to each group. A mistake big companies that use retargeting make is to continue serving ads to those who have already purchased.  Failing to modify your campaign to stop serving to customers that have already converted is a big turnoff.

How about you? Have you tried retargeting for your business? Idea Associates can help you plan your next retargeting campaign!

Sibet B Freides